Ephemera:

Ephemera is a broad term used to describe items of paper that were created for use in a short time span and meant to be thrown away after one or two uses. Items generally put into the ephemera category of collecting would be sheet music, posters, stock certificates, post cards, cigarette cards, magazines, catalogs, and the like.
_____________________________________________



Friday, March 1, 2013

Dionne Quintuplets Book



I just discovered this little gem of a book among Madeline's memories.  It's been more than 6 months since I posted and I appreciate those who emailed me to let me know you missed MM's.  Life got a little hectic and to be honest I needed a little break from the "old days".  But when I came across this book, plus two Reader's Digests from the 1940's, I felt the pull toward blogging again.  So let's take a look at the book!

 
The Dionne Quintuplets were born on May 28, 1934, in Northern Ontario, Canada.  They were the first quints to live more than a few hours.  In 1934 quintuplets were born only once in 57,000,000 births.  The novelty of this is detailed in the book.
 
 
The book is full of photos and information about the girls.
 
 
 
This photo was taken at 13 months.
 
 
Yvonne and Dr. Dafoe, who delivered them.  I think he enjoyed the publicity of it all.
 
 
I love this picture!  The little girls doing laundry.  Some toy that was--washing machine, drying line, ironing board, and iron.  You can't start them too early! 
 
 
This was a special "quinmobile" which helped them get around.
 
 
 
Potrait with the Dr.  He wrote in his diary at the end of the day they were born, " Oliva Dionne--5F".  That meant 5 baby girls were born to the wife of Oliva Dionne.
 
 
The quints on a bobsled.
 
 
 
 
The quints were so rare that the family set up the nursery as a tourist attraction.
 
If you are curious to learn more about the Dionne Quintuplets, I discovered this amazing Pinterest page.  (I must set up a Pinterest account for MM's!) 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment