Ephemera:

Ephemera is a broad term used to describe items of paper that were created for use in a short time span and meant to be thrown away after one or two uses. Items generally put into the ephemera category of collecting would be sheet music, posters, stock certificates, post cards, cigarette cards, magazines, catalogs, and the like.
_____________________________________________



Friday, July 29, 2011

Keene High School




I am always happy to see new followers to Madeline's Memories and love to get an email from someone who has seen the blog and enjoyed and appreciated what Madeline saved.  I was thrilled to receive an email from one of Madeline's classmates from Keene High School, class of 1940.  I cleaned my office the other day and there under a stack of items were two scrapbooks and some framed photos of Madeline's high school days. 

This post is for you, Rosanne.  Hope you enjoy the trip down memory lane! (As always, click on pics to enlarge.)


The program from the baccalaureate service held on June 9, 1940.





Senior Class Banquet program - 1940.  It may be a little hard to read the light printing, but I love the motto "Let's eat drink and be merry".  I was also intrigued by the entertainment acts, especially the Washboard Swingband and Acrobatic Act.  Looks like it was a fun time!


Dance card announcement


from the playbook for Elizabeth the Queen



Another playbook and a concert program.


Article about the prom and a pic of Madeline's home room.


Most of the scrapbook was devoted to football games, with some basketball games as well.  I don't know if this accounting is accurate or just wishful thinking on her part.  She saved every article about every game, it seems.


I found 3 framed team photos with the scrapbooks. 


The football team


I apologize for the glare, but I did not want to remove them from their frames.


Sadly, I found this in the scrapbook.  And this:



This is the cover of the second scrapbook which contains her schoolwork--history outlines, geography maps, and english assignments.  She kept it all!  To close this post about Keene High School, here is the Graduation Program for 1940:









I hope you enjoyed this look at high school in 1940.  I really enjoyed this one.



































No comments:

Post a Comment